Before the Trip
Even healthy people may find that travelling can precipitate illness. Differences in food, climate and schedule, in addition to the possible stress of travel can make you more susceptible to illness.
Here are some tips to help you stay healthy when you travel:
- First of all, plan ahead. Get your medical and dental checkups done before your trip, so that any problems can be detected, and to relevant medicines can be taken along.
- Find out what your health insurance company will pay for if you need to consult a doctor while you're away.
- In case you are travelling abroad, you may need to obtain a special health insurance policy called an Overseas Mediclaim Insurance Policy.
- Carry adequate quantities of your regular medicines in their original containers, along with extra prescriptions for them. It would also be a good idea to carry a doctor's note, listing your medical diagnoses and the medicines you need to take. If you are going abroad, get this translated into local language (for example, French or German), if possible.
- Carry a spare pair of spectacles and an extra set of contact lenses, if needed.
- If you have medical disorders such as diabetes or epilepsy, wearing a medical information bracelet can provide life-saving information in an emergency in a foreign country