Cough can be of two kinds: a dry cough, or one that brings up sputum ( productive) Self-Care Measures For coughs that bring up sputum:
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Use a vaporizer.
- Take a shower. ITake an over-the -counter cough medicine that contains guaiphenisen.
For coughs that are dry:
- Drink plenty of liquids, essentially hot beverages such as tea, milk or soup. - Suck on cough lozenges.
- Take an over-the-counter cough medicine that contains dextromethorphan.
Call Your Doctor For
- A cough that has started suddenly and lasts for one hour or more without stopping
- A cough afflicting a baby or small child that sounds like a whoop or seal's bark (high pitched like a whistle), and if the baby or child develops a fever of 102° F or higher.
- Weight loss (for no apparent reason), feeling tired, and sweating a lot at night.
- Wheezing, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, and swelling of the abdomen, legs, and ankles.
- A cough with sputum of any colour. IA cough lasting for more than two weeks.
Get Immediate Care for
- Very hard time breathing or if lips become purple.
- chest pain that spreads to the neck, arm, or jaw.
- Coughing up blood.