Sleep is essential to physical and emotional health. Physically, adequate sleep plays a role in helping your body recover from illness and injury. Sleep problem can be a significant barrier to recovery. But the emotional and mental benefits of sleep are also significant.
People with chronic insomnia were more likely to impair the ability to perform tasks involving memory, learning, logical reasoning and mathematical calculation. This may contribute to develop several kinds of psychiatric problems, and these persons are likely to make greater use of health care services.
Those who suffer from insomnia usually complain that they take more than 30 minutes to fall asleep at night? Or wake up frequently during the night and have a hard time going back to sleep.
Virtually everyone suffers at least an occasional night of poor sleep. However, certain individuals may be particularly vulnerable. These include students, shift workers, travelers, and persons suffering from acute stress, depression, or chronic pain. Older adults also have frequent difficulty with sleep problems. Even occasional sleeping problems can make daily life feel more stressful or cause you to be less productive.
There are many ways you can get a better night's sleep:
1. If you can't easily figure out what is keeping you up, start to keep a record of your sleeping patterns. Write down what you do before bed, what time you go to bed, when you think you fall asleep, when you wake up, and what wakes you up.
2. Remedies like a glass of warm milk or a warm bath do work for some people.
3. If you are worried, talk to a friend or family member. Some people find it helpful to set aside 20 minutes sometime earlier in the day for worrying.
4. Learn some relaxation techniques like meditating or try listening to quiet music.
5. Avoid naps during the day , they may keep you from falling asleep or cause you to wake in the middle of the night.
For More Information on a variety of Sleep Problems visit HELP. Some of the books available at HELP on this subject are:
67 Ways to good sleep : A People's Medical Society book
Restful Sleep:The complete mind/body program for overcoming insomnia
Desperately Seeking Snoozin
How to avoid insomnia-the guide for troubled sleepers
The promise of sleep, Natural relief from headaches, insomnia & Stress
Learn to sleep well, No more sleepless nights, etc